Monday 15 August 2011

Reasons for racing

So, if you follow this blog, I don't need to describe what Ironman is or just how much I've had to put into just getting to the start line. But that only gets you to the start line...the day itself is a whole different matter.
For us amateurs (it may be different for the pros who skip around the course like newborn lambs in a spring meadow) doing such feats of physical endurance inevitably takes you to some pretty dark places. No matter how well the day goes, there'll be times when I want nothing more than to shut up shop and stop. I imagine those times will come for me whenever I cycle or run past a pretty beer garden! 

On a serious note, they always say that, to do something like this, you need to race for something bigger than yourself. For friends, for family, for a loved one, for a cause... whatever... but you need somewhere to turn when the dark moments come. My experience of climbing Kilimanjaro half starved and delirious with altitude sickness certainly told me that this is true. If you can keep going, you'll see the other side sooner than you think, but you need someone or something to keep you going until the light returns.


I know that, should I reach the finish line on 11 September, I'll look up and have a little word with my grandad who I've asked to keep an eye on me (and give me a celestial push up the hills!) during the race.


But I've also got another motivation for getting around that course. I’m doing this feat of idiocy/bravery/awesomeness (delete as applicable) in aid of The North Wales Chrysalis Trust which supports children with life threatening, limiting or fatal illnesses and their families. An amazing and worthwhile cause, I’m sure you’ll agree.  


I hope it doesn't sound trite or contrived to say as much, but every time I race in a marathon, a triathlon or even head out on a long ride, I think how lucky I am to have a strong and fit body that supports all the things I want to do (although if it could learn to do them a bit faster..!). When I come away from a race a little disappointed that I missed the top 10 or didn't get a PB, I always try to remind myself that some people (and kids at that) would give anything just to be able to take part. It's something we should never, ever take for granted.

So, it’d be great if you could click on this link and sponsor me a quid or two - every little helps. Thank you so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.