Thursday 3 November 2011

The Times They Are A’Changin’


I have to admit that, other than the occasional race report here and there, I’ve been seriously rubbish at keeping you, my dear, loyal, slightly mental blog readers, updated of late. The reason for this, like a devil’s pitchfork, is triple-pronged.

Firstly, after quite a bit of blogging in the run up to Ironman, I guess I just ran out of steam. Secondly, I’ve been adjusting to my new job (well, promotion – same company) which has been pretty tough as I seem to have all the same old responsibilities but a pile of new ones too! The final reason is, happily, triathlon related – I’ve been busily sorting a couple of things out.

The first big bit of news is that, after going it alone so far, I’ve joined Tri2Aspire – the top local triathlon team here in the UAE. Coached by an ex pro triathlete, Jason (worryingly also goes by names like The Tyrant and Coach Pain!), there are all sorts of levels in the team but at the top end are some really cracking athletes, with age group World Championships and Kona qualifications under their race belts. Impressive stuff.

As you know if you’ve been a regular blog follower, I’ve always really enjoyed the self-coaching element of triathlon and learning by doing but it’s an extra burden on an already busy schedule. This month, coach has sent me my schedule along with the reason I’m doing what I’m doing and where it’s leading in the greater scheme of things. But that’s not my only reason for joining T2A. Triathlon can be quite a lonely endeavour and, at times during my training for IM Wales, I found ploughing that lonely furrow even harder than the physical ‘getting er done’. The social element seems to play a big role in the team – from coffee after early morning swim sessions or cheering each other to PBs to having a training partner to push you that little bit harder...I’m looking forward to diving into my first team sessions this weekend. It’s a long weekend (Eid holidays) here in Dubai, so a great chance to really give the body a beating!

So, the second big tri related news? Ironman Austria, baby...hell yes! Registered, accommodation booked, flight almost sorted. Not till July 1st next year but I’m already really excited. The goal is 11 hours...but there’s a long time between now and then, so we’ll have to see.

Once again, though, that team dynamic is playing a role as many of the other T2A members have entered Challenge Roth (another Iron distance race in similar terrain/conditions) which is just one week after IM Austria, meaning my experience of training for an IM this time around should be very different from last. Plus, it’ll be up to me to put in a good performance to set the tone for the other guys to follow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.