Thursday 26 January 2012

One for the newbies...


The magical stat wizard who lives inside my computer (who some folk in the know refer to as Google Analytics) tells me that a surprising number of you – another demonstration, if any were needed, that people would rather look at anything online than do their actual jobs – read this blog. Mr Analytics can also tell me where you are when you read this blog (seriously, 17 of you in Chile!). What Goog-me-old-mucker doesn’t tell me, however, is why.

For a lot of you, the reasons are obvious:
  • You’re related to me
  • You went to school/uni with me and like to read this blog to remind yourself how much better your life has turned out than mine
  • You did a search for ‘shaved legs, lycra, rubber and helmet’ and are now very, very disappointed

But a decent proportion of you, it would seem, are either athletes or triathletes, with a fair whack based here in ye olde Middle East too! But where do you lie on the TRiOMETRE? Are you seasoned pros laughing at my pansy-ass hill climbing skills or are you tri virgins (uh oh, going to disappoint a few more searchers with that one!) looking for tips and advice you can use to nail your own first race?

Given that, during my first sprint tri in the UK, my stem came lose leading to my base bar slipping all over the shop and rendering my bike almost unrideable and resulting in me doing the second lap of the bike course simultaneously pedalling, holding an Allen key tight to keep the bars upright, and steering with the stem itself...you’d be forgiven for thinking that I’m hardly a font of all triathlon knowledge.

But, you’d be wrong. Coz I’m a triathlete. So I think I know it all! Easy week you say, coach? Yeah sure! In risk of an overuse injury am I doctor? Increase the mileage! Not in Ironman shape? Pah, sub 10!

Bizarrely though, I know some folk who actually think they know better than me:

This here hirsute young chap is Faris Al-Sultan. He’s the current European Ironman Champ and won the World Ironman Championship in Kona, Hawaii, in 2005. Yeah, he’s pretty good. He’s also the captain of Team Abu Dhabi so I caught up with him to have a chat about the upcoming Abu Dhabi International Triathlon which will take place on 3 March. What should newbies or those erring on the inexperienced side do to prepare, I asked Faris?
“Practise a variety of swim drills regularly to highlight weaknesses and have a swim stroke technician analyse your technique. Also it’s important to train in choppy seas to practise drafting behind a partner– all the while getting used to wearing the wetsuit and race goggles needed for the race.”
Got it? Good. I’ve actually ridden in a large group ride with Faris before and in the final sprint, I put my head down, shrunk into a tight wind-defying aero tuck and started powering out the sort of wattage usually only seen from steam locomotives. Faris passed me, sat bolt upright, juggling and whistling the German national anthem. To be fair, he later admitted he was in the top gear of his unicycle. So, he’s not bad on a bike.
“When it comes to cycling, train in groups to work on race techniques such as going round a corner fast and climbing inclines efficiently. Make sure you practise these both seated and out of the saddle.”
Some people, I point out, don’t have the hours and hours that pros have to dedicate to endless biking sessions. This is my best shot at a ‘get a real job, punk!’ type slur, but Faris takes in on his bearded chin and carries on...
“If you only have a short period of time, attempt very hard and fast intervals on a home trainer which is a great way to build power. Remember to have your bike setup analysed to make sure you are maximising comfort and aerodynamics.”
Damn it, he’s good!

So, I move on to the UAE-based adventurer Adrian Hayes, who’ll also be taking part in Abu Dhabi International Triathlon. Adrian is a world record-breaking polar explorer who has summited Mount Everest, walked all the way to both Poles and recently followed in the footsteps of Wilfred Thesiger by crossing the Empty Quarter desert. Yeah well, wotevs, I climbed Kilimanjaro for Gulf4Good, I point out. I know, I was with you, counters Adrian. I’ve done an Ironman, I fight back. I’ve done one faster, he retorts.   
Alright champ, tell the newbies what they want to know:
“Climbing hills is a good speed, strength and technique workout. Even if you are training for long distance, leg speed is very important and will help you run much more efficiently. Also do faster interval workouts in your race day shoes to promote good technique and to ensure you’re comfortable in them.”

It’s last chance saloon for my tri ego. Next up, certified physiotherapist Katherina Ringer, a key adviser for Abu Dhabi International Triathlon. See... physiotherapist...not even a triathlete! I am going to put her in her place, I am going to astound her with my triathlon knowledge, shock and awe, I think, shock and awe...
Me: Hi pretty lady.
KR: Er, hi. I’m the Abu Dhabi Tri Team physiotherapist.
Me: He he he, you’ve got lovely skin.
KR: Right, so, training and body conditioning should be personalised to the athlete’s fitness and experience levels.
Me: Mmmmm.
KR: Consistency over several months is much more important than doing a lot in one week.
Me: (uhoh, she knows what she’s talking about!)
KR: So, make sure you combine three training intensities – long easy workouts, tempo race pace sessions, and high intensity speed technique workouts.

Joking aside, this is all top advice from people who actually know what they’re talking about. Take it on board, apply it in training, and you’ll fly through your first races feeling great and finishing strong. Then, before you know it, you’ll no longer be a newbie, and you’ll get to think you know better than everyone else too!

There's still time to enter ADIT and see how you get on against Faris, Adrian or, well, me: http://www.abudhabitriathlon.com/




                       

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.