Tuesday 26 June 2012

It’s the final countdown… da-da-daaa-daaaaaaa…


So, this is it peeps. Race week. Today is Wednesday which means I’m four days out from Ironman Austria. And, to be honest, I’m feeling pretty good. Of course there are still the occasional ‘I’m not fit enough’ panics and sporadic ‘maybe I should just get one more 150k ride in…’ thoughts, but this time around – unlike pre-IM Wales – they are rare. I feel fit, happy, healthy and eager to go.

So, what’s changed from last August/September when I was preparing for Ironman Wales? Well, firstly, I am simply fitter, healthier and better prepared. Which helps. Also, I feel like, so far, we’ve judged the taper well and that’s something I have to thank my coach for. Last Friday I rode a hard 80k as 60k just over IM race pace and 20k well over race pace, to the point of being about to blow up during the last 10k. Since then I’ve done one easy run, one easy 40 minute spin on the indoor trainer on the bike, and have continued – maybe even picked up – the swimming.

This tactic of swimming more was very deliberate and, I think, has been key. Each person needs different things during a taper and I simply can’t sit around doing nothing. Swimming has kept the routine, kept the weight off and maintained a feeling of activity but without the fatigue. Plus, I’m swimming really well which means I feel good.

Aside from that, what does the week before an Ironman look like? For those who’ve never done an Ironman event, or any endurance race, you might be interested to know. Again, however, it’s important to note that every person is different. Staying busy without getting tired is my approach to this week. So I’ve had a couple of days completely off from training and taken advantage of that time to work a little later than usual, so I can leave knowing that I don’t have anything from the office hanging over me. Packing for an Ironman is hard work in itself – there’s a lot to remember: swim, bike, run, nutrition, supplements, other clothes… add the fact that I’m away for two weeks after the race and need to fit all of that, and my bike, into 23kg check-in luggage and normal hand luggage and it’s a bit of a nightmare. Therefore, since last week, I’ve been making and adding to lists. I then started packing slowly a couple of nights ago… just to make sure.

Diet-wise, nothing has changed. There’s a temptation to pig out. There’s also extra time to pig out! But I’ve kept my diet very balanced, with a concentration on high fats and proteins and fairly low carbohydrate content (how I usually eat) and haven’t really added any extra carbs to my diet. I have, however, been salting food a little more liberally to build up my sodium levels and have really upped my water intake – not only so that I’m well hydrated come race day, but also because it’s shown to counteract the dehydrating effects of flying. I’ve had a couple of relaxing Epsom salt baths – the magnesium soothes the legs – and also have upped my intake of magnesium, while having a protein drink and an electrolyte drink every day, regardless of whether I’ve trained or not.

Today is my last day in work. I don’t fly till gone midnight tonight and between work and leaving I need to pack my bike, which I cleaned and oiled last night. I could have done this earlier but I like to pack my bike fairly last minute – silly tho it may sound, I feel like the less time it’s packed and apart, the less time there is for stuff to break or be pulled loose etc. But, also, it gives me something to concentrate on tonight in the hours before flying, rather than sitting around and feeling nervous.

It’s been a sensible approach so far and this, along with my goals (which I’ll post about later today or tomorrow morning), has kept me feeling relatively nerve-free, happy and excited. I can’t wait to get to Klagenfurt now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.