Sunday 15 July 2012

Ironman Austria - Race report: Part 1 - the preamble

I've been kidding myself that, as I was posting little blogs and other morsels in the run-up to IM Austria, my race report would be a nice, quick affair. But I'm a writer, and brevity doesn't come naturally; so get the kettle on, pull up a pew, and make yourself comfortable... we might be here a while.

My goals and ambitions heading into Austria were perhaps different to most people's. I'd done Ironman Wales (12:50) last September and, somewhere along the way, had forgotten to 'enjoy' it. I know that you don't truly enjoy an Ironman – not in the same way you do, say, having a nice cold pint on a summer's day, or watching fat people fall over on YouTube – but I'd forgotten to 'experience' it and, as a result, didn't feel like I'd done myself justice on the day. In short, I had unfinished business with the 140.6 mile distance.

Unfinished business shouldn't be confused with lofty aspirations. As everything from my Aerofit scan to the unholy mess of agony and anguish that is my face after a long run will tell you, I'm very much a short course triathlete. With that in mind, I set my team coach, Jason, the unenviable task of prepping me for a UK Sprint Qualifier (I did actually qualify for the GB Team to go to the World Champs in New Zealand but decided to pass on it) and Ironman Austria, just five weeks apart...

On the whole, I think it worked well. I felt fit, ready and confident (within reason, of course – you can always be fitter, faster and more ready but...) heading over to Austria. I was confident that I was a different athlete from the one that lined up at Ironman Wales. Just as importantly, I was mentally in a different place. I spoke with Jason about the process – swimming hard and trying to find fast feet; concentrating on heart rate, nutrition and hydration on the bike; a steady run-walk for the run. It was mentioned that, on a very good day, a sub-11 hour time may be on the cards; but that smiling and soaking up the atmosphere and scenery was just as important.

The days before were fairly undramatic. Describing the Klagenfurt and Worthersee venue as stunning is a bit like saying Scarlett Johansson is pretty, or Facebook is popular. It's breathtaking and the lakeside resort location for the Ironman village – along with Europe's biggest outdoor sports expo – gives the whole event a real festival atmosphere. 
a small section of the giant Worthersee
the canal that connects the Worthersee with the town of Klagenfurt - part of the canal features at the end of the Ironman swim, and part of the run goes up and down the canal as it runs into town 
Add 2,800 triathletes and their families and the atmosphere soon becomes electric. Not wanting to tire myself out or expend too much nervous energy, I headed down to the race village as necessity demanded – registration, briefing, swim practice, massage – but then got away back into Klagenfurt town as soon as I was able.

Everything, I would say, went like clockwork until the day before the race. If this race has taught me anything at all, it's that the saying 'man makes plans and god laughs' possibly applies more to long distance triathlon than anything else!

On Saturday morning, in the race briefing, it was revealed that, for the first time in 14 years, the Worthersee was too warm to allow wetsuits. If I were there for position, this would have been good news for me. As I was sort of there for time, it was sort of bad news, but no great shakes. Others, however, saw it differently. The announcement was met with the sort of loud clamour and screamed questions that I associate with movies in which a notorious villain is cleared by a corrupt jury on a technicality. In fact, I was pretty certain that 'wetsuits will not be allowed' must have sounded very much like the German for 'all of your family have just been killed by a nuclear bomb'. I saw two women actually crying.

For me, the bad news started after lunch. I ate a standard, plain pasta dish from a local Italian; it made me feel so ill I could hardly eat for the rest of the day, while my stomach tried to play bongos on my intestines. Meanwhile, much to everyone's concern – not least, we later discovered, the organisers' – the unseasonably hot weather that was the cause of the non-wetsuit swim was only getting hotter and hotter.

In retrospect, there are a couple of things that I'm glad that I was ignorant of before race day. First was how many hills were in the course – but we'll get to that later – second, and most pressing, was just how hot it would get out there. Official figures had it at 36C but, in the sort of mind-blowing coincidence that Ironman has a habit of throwing up, we discovered the sort of 'hilarious after the fact but painful as hell at the time' truth the next day in the local newspaper and at the presentation party: not only was Sunday the hottest Ironman Austria, but the single hottest day in Klagenfurt since records began (200 years if you've a taste for macabre humour!) and one of the five hottest days of all time anywhere in Austria! The road temperature on the big climb reached 41C, with 47C recorded at the finish line! Being a lake venue, there's unfortunately none of the cooling breeze that you may get near the sea – so the temperatures soon stack up.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.