Saturday 22 October 2011

Race report: Aerofit sprint tri in Ghantoot (race 2)

This Friday saw the second of our local sprint tri series held at the Golden Tulip Bungalows in Ghantoot. In spite of tired legs and a lack of training before the last race, I put in a really good performance, coming 7th overall and 4th in the open male category (three from the 40-50 category also beat me...those boys are quick!), so I was really keen to back that up with another decent performance this time.

Training had been going pretty well – lots of shorter high intensity work – but unfortunately I picked up a bit of a cold a couple of weeks ago which turned into a chest infection, laying me out for over a week. I wasn't too sure whether to race or not – especially after a really rubbish swim session on Wednesday night – but I felt OK on Thursday so decided to give it a shot. After all, I'd already paid the entry fee!

I got up at 3.55 and did my tried and tested ice coffee and porridge with sports drink and a Dairy Milk en route. The bike, once again, had been packed the night before and the bag was ready to go. I arrived nice and early, registered and found my place in transition. I stretched and warmed up a little more than I have in the past – a conscious decision as I often feel sluggish in the swim initially – and chatted with friends. I'm really loving the sport and the joy of racing right now...catching up with people in transition pre-race is a big part of that. I think my improvement over the summer (IM built a good base and the high intensity stuff is adding a bit more power) has brought me to a few other people's attention, as there were definitely a few more folk around who knew my name this time. That's a nice feeeling.

Setting up transition used to be quite stressful and time-consuming for me as I'd be so conscious of getting everything right and not forgetting anything. The good news, if you're new to triathlon and find the same, is that it gets way easier. It's now a pretty quick and automatic process.

The swim course changed a little from the slightly flawed last swim – in the briefing, they explained that it'd be a beach start, and then a two lap course with a small run along the beach between loops. I had a quick warm up (could do with more in future) and took my position near what I thought would be the most direct route to the first buoy.

The start was a little bit scrappy and some racers headed off before the klaxon. I didn't wait around to see if they'd be called back and everyone else seemed to have the same idea. It might have been messy, but the race was on. I ran as fast as I could, took a good dive and sprinted hard to the first buoy, making it first. There was quite a bit of wind blowing and the water was quite choppy, which I loved. It made it a fun swim and a more challenging one, which is always going to work out well for me. It also served to split up the field much more than usual.

The first loop flew by and I came out first just ahead of Ian Le Pelley, a great triathlete and strong swimmer, with Nick Tipper just behind him. By the time we'd run along the beach and got back in for the second loop, Ian had caught up a bit and was back on my feet but, feeling really good, I decided to put an extra strong burst in and really drop the hammer for the second loop, which worked out. I came out of the water clear in first and ran into transition feeling good. Time: 9 minutes.

Had a good quick transition (1:53 including the run in and out) and wasn't overtaken in the transition as has always happened in the past, meaning I was out on the bike in completely unfamiliar territory...leading the race! The bike leg is two loops of a 10k out and back route and, weirdly, I arrived at the roundabout that marks the 5k point and turnaround on the first lap, and I was still leading the race! I knew the wind would be with me on the way back so I cranked the bike up to a bigger gear and tried to keep the pace on hard. I knew I was going to be caught, but I made it my mission to get as far as I could before that happened.

In fact, it was about 8k in that Nick went past. Careful not to draft, I tried to stay with him for a bit but only managed a couple of hundred metres as he was really shifting. I hit the halfway point in second before Ed Hawkins – a brilliant triathlete who is fresh from the Ironman World Champs in Kona – came screaming past. I knew Ed was only doing the relay (still some post Hawaii fatigue in the legs, I expect) so it was understandable that he'd be moving quickly. Finally, after about 13km, Olivier Godart (the winner of the previous race) went past me extremely quickly and looking just so strong. It was easy to tell from where I was – the best seat in the house – that Nick and Olivier would be where the winner came from. But Olivier still had a lot of work to do.

At the final turnaround, I had the chance to check out where everyone else was behind me and was really chuffed to see that Ian hadn't eaten into my lead at all – if anything, I may have stretched it a little – and a few other guys who usually catch my swim lead back up on the bike were still a minute or more behind. It's so gratifying when you work at something (I've really concentrated on increasing my power on the bike since Ironman) and see tangible results.

All in all, it was a pretty lonely ride – no toing and froing like in the last race – and noone just in front or overtaking for me to pace off, so I was really happy that I managed to keep the pressure on and cycle hard. I came into T2 in third place overall (with a relay also ahead) having averaged almost exactly 40kmph (31 mins) for the 20k bike leg. Again, I transitioned well (1:10 including the long run in and out) and headed out for the run.

Right at the start of the run, there's a small incline and both my calves cramped quickly and painfully there, but as the terrain flattened out, the cramps passed and I could tell that they would work themselves out and not be more of a problem. I concentrated on running smooth and easy with a fast, light cadence and felt as good as I ever have on a sprint tri run. At the 1k mark, I was running just under 4:15 per km pace and felt good – smooth, even though I was certainly giving my all. Ben (who was marshalling) rode past me and told me I had about 1 minute on the next athlete. I saw Olivier and Nick head past me (Olivier was burning it up and had not only caught Nick but put about 15 seconds lead over him) and then I arrived at the halfway point and grabbed a water. It was really starting to hurt but I thought I could hold the same pace on the way back.

I passed a relay runner (who was next behind me) and then Ian, followed by a few other athletes. I was pretty sure that Ian had caught a decent chunk on me on the run so I tried to up the pace a bit, but really didn't have too much to give. The out and back course is great as I passed friends and other racers I know from swimming club etc and could see how they were looking and what their time was. I always try to give a few encouraging words when I do see them – even if I'm struggling with my own breath.

I dared not look behind and kept running hard – but I knew if I did get caught I didn't have anything more to give. I was willing the line closer. About 800m from the finish, I heard footsteps behind me and I mentally prayed that it was the relay runner who'd caught me but, unfortunately, with about 500m to go, it was Ian who ran past and into third place. I tried to respond and stay with him but he was just too fast – I looked behind and saw there was a huge gap back and so just kept a steady pace into the finish. Fourth place.

Sure, I was a little gutted to have been pipped to what would have been my first ever tri podium finish, but my time (1:04:11) was over a minute quicker than in the last race – and this on a slightly longer course (due to a short swim last time out). I ran the best I've ever run in a triathlon (20:40 for 5k) and beat a lot of guys for the first time – some of whom (like Roy Nasr who won the 40+ category with a storming 1:05) I've really looked up to and admired since I did my first race in Ghantoot a couple of years ago. I remember how fast those guys used to seem to me – it's mind-boggling (and a source of enormous pride) to me that I'm now able to mix it with them. The guys who beat me are superb triathletes – Ian has represented the UK in Commonwealth Games and age group champs, but has been plagued by injuries. To be honest, even though it was at my expense, I was pretty chuffed for him getting third.

Most importantly, I'm definitely improving, getting stronger and loving triathlon. And that's all I could ever ask for. These races may only be small, inconsequential, local affairs, but they can tell you how you're performing and if you're heading in the right direction. Happily, I am. The fact that I've done pretty well after a bout of rest and illness in the past two races has also made me wonder if I may have been overtraining a little here and there, as I've actually felt good and hungry going into these races. Perhaps another lesson to learn?

Next week is the first sprint tri at Wadi Adventure inland in the town of Al Ain. Looking forward to racing in a new venue on a different course.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.