Sunday 5 February 2012

Race Report: Skins Tri Series race 2


So, as I explained in my last dispatch from behind the front lines of triathlon blogging, February is all about lots of racing and it all kicked off this weekend with race 2 of the Skins Triathlon Series in Al Mamzar Park, which is right down near the Dubai-Sharjah border. It was my first Olympic distance race in a year.
Early morning in Mamzar
Now, I could point out a few shortcomings of this race here and there, but I’d like to instead say that it was generally well run and the organisation has definitely improved several-fold over a similar race (same location and organiser) I took part in 14 months ago. So credit where credit is due. As athletes, we often point out what didn’t work (one section was long/short, the roads weren’t completely closed off to cars, they only had water at the aid station etc etc) but it’s important that we remember just how difficult any race is to put on – multiply that by three and you get a idea of how hard it is to get a triathlon logistically spot on. And without the efforts of these race organisers, we’re just a bunch of people who train a lot. I make a point of thanking all marshals and volunteers out on course whenever I race but, I decided while out on the bike in this race, from now on I’m going to make sure I thank the organisers too. So... cheers Super Sports Dubai.
The beach and the briefing
So, I could give you a full report on exactly how my race went. A blow-by-blow account of every last metre. But it wasn’t such a big one and who really cares about every thought that crossed my mind? So, here’s what’s important:
Getting zipped into my Blue Seventy Helix by my dad
SWIM: A bit short (1370m), four laps that made for lots of swimming over people, I swam well and felt strong, out in 18:20 in 1st place. Good time tho no better than I expected.
T1: Fine.
Coming out of T1
BIKE: Bike was flat and fast though also very, very windy. Averaged 38kph which is pretty darn good for me. Came off in 1:02:50 – my previous best Oly distance bike had been around 1:07. Was now down to 2nd but knew I was going to set a really good time if I could hold a run together.

Motoring past like a steam train (in my mind at least)
On my way to bike split PB
T2: Good.
RUN: Previous best Oly run off the bike was around 47:00. I knew I’m now running much better so had decided beforehand to hold 4:30s. I quickly lost position down to 4th (but 3rd in 19-39 AG as I knew that Stefan, who passed me for third, was in the 40-49 AG). I didn’t panic and reminded myself that I was there for the time. Also, as it was a low priority race for me, I didn’t want to go all-in and get injured or limit training. So, held the 4:30s and then gave it a bit more in last 2.5k. Run 42:00.
End of the road... mercifully!
RESULT: Held 4th overall and 3rd in AG. Final time officially given as 2:02:50 but I have to confess that I clocked it as 2:05:00! Either way, extremely happy.

This race represented my first ever triathlon podium (obviously had lots as a swimmer). More significantly, however, it was a MAHOOOSIVE PB over this distance and a big, big, big improvement in both my bike and my run. Remember when Jim Robinson from Neighbours popped up in The West Wing and 24...seriously, that kind of improvement! Plus, I know that, were this a bigger race, I probably had a little more to give in all three disciplines.

My first ever tri podium - rubbish medal, nice feeling!
This might have just been a small, local race but its significance was greater than that to me. It shows me that I’m on the right track and that all this training is paying off. In training, I’m surrounded by top-notch bikers and some superb runners and it’s easy to feel a little despondent and sluggish when measuring yourself against them. Running, in particular, is a continuous frustration for me – but this shows that I am getting there, that one day I might be able to run well enough to back up my already very strong swim and my improving bike ride.

One day... that’s what grips you about triathlon.

The podium – that was a nice ego stroke. The fact my folks were visiting and there to see it made it especially nice. But I’d take knocking off another couple of minutes over another podium any day. Position in the field is about everybody else, time is about yourself. And, at the end of the day, whether a field is 100 people strong in a local race or 3,000 strong in a big Ironman, there’s only one person out there whose race you can get even close to controlling.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.