Wednesday 15 February 2012

Tomorrow... racing, RAK and the big MP3 question


Ever heard the song Tomorrow by 90s Manchester Indie poppers James (aye, them of Sit Down fame)? It’s a proper tune (or ‘choooon’ as I believe all the cool cats are saying nowadays). If not, check it out; if so, wrap your sound conches around it again – you’ll not regret it, promise.

So, what’s the reason for this random musical interlude (is it an interlude if it comes right at the beginning? Maybe an Introlude...)? Well, I’ll tell you... I’m racing tomorrow, and I’m pretty excited about it.

It’s the RAK Half Marathon and, aside from being one of the UAE’s biggest events (popular, well attended, fantastically organised), it also means I’ll be lining up with (OK, quite a bit behind) some of the biggest stars of distance running, like Olympic favourites Mary Keitany and Geoffrey Mutai.
Mary and Geoffrey: world-class runners in spite of sounding like a middle aged couple who run the village pub.

It’s quite a ‘loopy’ course is RAK, which is great as it means you get to see plenty of the greats in full flow. And what a sight that is – although not because they look incredibly fast, but quite the opposite; like anyone who’s world-class in any field, they make it look so easy. Relaxed, fluid, controlled – they tick off their sub 3 minute kilometres.

Looking at the sweating, panting mess of cramps and agony that I – and everyone around me – have become, it’s insane to think we’re even doing the same sport as these elites. Then again, looking at their ‘5ft-nowt 30 kilos when wet right through’ frames, it’s insane to think we’re even the same species.
Me and Geoffrey Mutai. He's a lovely kid.
So, ambitions for tomorrow. Last year I did 1:36. A few months ago, based on not much long running at all, I did a 1:33 at the CreekStriders Half. RAK is, undoubtedly, a fast course, so my target is sub-1:30 for the first time. I’m certainly not taking that for granted but am also quietly confident – my triathlon programme has included a weekly 20-26km run for the past 7 weeks or so and I feel like I’m running pretty well. I’m trying to also back myself a bit this time – I think my lack of confidence in my running actually means I run within myself a little from time to time. This time, I’m going to leave it all out there, like a forgetful flasher. The pain cave has been located – I plan to set up camp within for most the race.

Insofar as strategy goes, it’s 4:15s all the way. I suspect that, by the last 2km, I’ll be holding on for dear life if I even make it that far holding the 4:15s, but if not then I’ll use whatever I have left. Us triathletes rarely need a excuse to bust out the technology or spend a few quid on some high-end geekery, but it’s for races like this that my Garmin 310xt really comes into its own, telling me my exact pace at the time and average pace overall. If you’re a runner (or triathlete) who doesn’t have a GPS watch, then I’d really recommend it as both a training and racing aid.  

So, looks like I have it all under control, right? Wrong. I have one big dilemma. While I love a bit of MP3 action for training (I think there’s a whole post on favourite training podcasts to come soon), I’m usually resolutely against using them for racing. For a start, you’re not allowed them in the vast majority of triathlons. But it’s also something about being in the moment, feeding off the atmosphere and hearing the breathing and steps of all the runners around you... I think of that mental challenge as every bit as important as the physical one. On the other hand, while RAK is a nice course for seeing the top dogs do their thing, RAK city makes Warsaw look like Florence. If it were a young lass at a school disco, it’d be the one who never got a snog at the end. If it were a dog, it’d be this guy...

“U. G. L. Y. It ain’t got no alibi, RAK’s ugly, hu-huh...” as Daphne and Celeste almost once wisely philosophised. (OK, how many of you actually sung that in your heads while reading it... come on, admit it!)

So, a little distraction goes a long way. But is it right, or even helpful, to drown out the sounds of the race? Hmm... I’m not so sure. If I do, it’ll have to be music rather than podcasts and, unlike every gym on earth that seems to be convinced everybody likes working out to dreadful Eurotrance, I love a bit of high tempo indie rock and roll when I’m running.

[Note to all aspiring writers out there, Master class # 1 coming up: always bookend with an allusion to what you mentioned at the beginning... now, pay attention.]

So, Bullet withButterfly Wings (Smashing Pumkins) is always on the MP3, as is my all time fave song ever in the history of the world ever full stop amen, The Rat (The Walkmen):

Love a bit of Born ToRun (Frankie or Bruce, doesn’t matter which...), The Bucket (KoL back when they were good... remember?), Moving to New York (The Wombats), and pretty much anything by The Vaccines or The Libertines. Oh, and you know what other tune I like (there you go...you got there before me, didn’t you)?

Ever heard the song Tomorrow by 90s Manchester Indie poppers James (aye, them of Sit Down fame)? It’s a proper tune...

[Tadaaaaaa!]

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.