Thursday 31 May 2012

Decisions and a quick change


So, over the past couple of days, the news filtered through that I had made the GB team for the World Sprint Champs thanks to qualifying third in my age group at last weekend’s Big Cow triathlon. The only problem being that, as I thought I probably hadn’t made the team, I’d started to make alternative plans. Now, I’m not sure whether to go or not.

The issue boils down to time and money. And, with the World Champs taking place down in New Zealand, any trip is going to demand quite a bit of both. I could probably scrape together the funds and a few days but then what’s the point in travelling all that way to a stunning country like New Zealand only to do a one-hour race and then race back?

Also, due to some personal stuff, I feel like my priorities have changed a little over the past few weeks too; I love triathlon and I can’t think of anything better than pulling on the blue Union Jack-emblazoned kit of my country, but it is, at the end of the day, just triathlon. Life, family and friends come first, right?

There’s still a bit more time left to make my decision but I’m thinking it’s unlikely I’ll go now. I’ve already decided that, after Ironman, I’d like to spend a couple of years focusing on the shorter sprint and Olympic races for a variety of reasons: I think my body reacts better to intensity, it’s where my strengths lie, not having to do 7hr IM training bike rides will buy me back a bit of ‘life’ plus I think this will buy me the time to really focus on my run, which is definitely my weakest discipline right now. I feel that many people – me included – reach for their Ironman goals to soon. I’d like to go back to basics, build some strength and speed and then maybe look at stepping up to 70.3s and IM again in a few years when I’ll see some genuine improvements.

I’d already made this decision before the UK qualifier. But if I don’t go to New Zealand, it also gives me a big goal for next year when the World Champs will be held in England. Competition for places will therefore be fierce. I figure that qualifying races, like the National Champs which I raced last week, will be just as hard-fought – no faster no slower – but all of the top four are likely to take their places, with slots on Team GB not rolling down very far at all. Therefore, the way I see it, I have 12 months to improve by 4 minutes over sprint distance or 7 minutes over an Olympic distance. And while there may be a minute or two between my swim and bike, most of this will have to come from my run. So, goals set out nice and early…

In the meantime, there’s just the small matter of an Ironman in four weeks’ time! It’s funny how the minds of us endurance athletes work. After my first weekend at home – and two really good, long, hilly bike rides – I’d have said I was in cracking form and ready to roll. However, thanks to seeing friends in London, competing in the national sprint champs, travel and tiredness, I’ve barely trained for the past week and all of a sudden I feel like I’m so unprepared it’s untrue and there’s no way I’ll even finish, let alone achieve my goals.

Slightly panicked, I hoped to get back into the game last night with the 100k bike set that is on my programme – only to snap a gear cable almost immediately. Never rains but pours, hey? This small thing was almost enough to send me into a crazy tears and tantrum toys out the pram panic but I took a deep breath and decided I’d focus on what I could do.

The bike went straight to the shop to be repaired. I took stock and realised that I’m just as fit as I was last week and also feel incredibly uninjured and well-rested – something to be grateful for a month from IM. Then I headed out on a 30k run to make up for missing the long bike. This weekend, I’ll hit the long ride on my road bike which means I won’t be able to keep up with the scheduled programme, but so what – if I can ride 200kms on my roadie, without aerobars, and still hold 30kph or faster, then the IM bike should be a doddle.

I’m looking forward to a good, fairly hard and, most importantly, a consistent three weeks of training now. Then it’s taper time. Then I head off to the beautiful land of Austria. And I’ll be prepared. I’ll give it my best. And what will be will be. After all, it’s only triathlon. It’s not family, or friends, or life…

1 comment:

  1. You will make the right choice Matt. You seam pretty focused and that is the most important no matter which way it goes. But still well done, again!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.