Tuesday 5 July 2011

Beat The Heat


Last night, I went up to Arabian Ranches (a nice residential development out of town which has a circular route ideal for running) and I ran 18kms in 1:45. Now, usually, even for me (running isn’t my strength) this would be neither a particularly long run (for my weekly long run) nor a particularly fast time. But by the time I finished at 10PM, it was still 36°C with 75% humidity outside.

The heat is easily my biggest adversary in the Ironman training. There are two things I’m already regretting: 1. Doing Wales as my first Ironman – early reports from those who have tested the course suggest that it’s going to be one of the most difficult Iron distance races out there; 2. Doing a race at the end of a Dubai summer.

Most people would consider training through such conditions to be impossible – it’s not, but it takes a lot of planning.  You can’t just put your shoes on and go for a run.

Swimming is easy, as long as you stick to a pool. They’re all chilled here, so no problem. Open water swimming however (which would be the ideal way tom practise) is out of the question – the Gulf is literally like warm bath water right now.

Cycling means an early start, lots of fluids, salt pills and, if I’m adding extra distance on to a group ride in order to hit my training goals, doing the majority of that before meeting the ride. Early morning (pre 6am), it’s actually quite pleasant. The breeze created by being on a bike keeps it OK till about 8. Then it’s horrible. So, if I want to do a brick session (a small run straight off the bike to get used to the odd sensation in your legs), I have to park my car at the gym, end my ride at the gym, throw the bike in the car and go straight up on to the treadmill.

Running is most problematic. A 15-30 minute brick run is one thing but I simply can’t abide the treadmill…30 minutes is my absolute max. So that means running slowly, running before 6am and after 8pm and staying hydrated. I wear a fuel belt which has little bottles attached so I can carry water and sports drinks out with me – or I make sure I take a route that passes plenty of water fountains…ideally both. The reason I like running at Arabian Ranches is that it’s a loop – I do one circuit and then stop back at my car, in which I have a cooler box with extra water and Gatorade to top up on and cold flannels to bring my temperature down. While I refill my fuel belt bottles, I put the ice blocks down my top. It’s bliss. But not for the fainthearted.

However, there’s more and more evidence that it could be beneficial. It’s long been known that, in order to race in hot or humid conditions, a few weeks of training in hot and humid conditions first helps you to acclimatise. Now, however, sports scientists think that training in hot and humid conditions may help when you compete in cooler temperatures. The performance loss at 36°C is estimated at around 30% - dehydration kicks in quickly, blood thickens, the heart has to work harder… so in cooler conditions, you’re more adapt at keeping the core cool, you retain fluids and salts better, the thinner blood is pushed around the body more easily.

That’s the theory at least. One that I’ll put to the test at Ironman Wales. And then never again. Next summer, I’m taking a few well-deserved months off!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.