Thursday 21 July 2011

In the long run


Been a good week so far as, on Tuesday, I managed to accidentally exceed my longest planned run day – and two weeks early. Basically, due to running loops (so I can refuel and rehydrate back at the car), I did a 14k morning run (supposed to be 13k) followed by an 18k evening run (supposed to be 16k). Obviously, 32k is a great day’s work (WIN!) but I have to admit to feeling pretty damn awful and slow towards the end of the evening run (LOSE!).

In many ways, that’s to be expected. My ideal goal pace for long training runs is around 5:30/km. I decide to allow a little leeway for the heat and aim for 5:40/km which I managed with ease in the morning and just about struggled to for the first 9k in the evening. And then I died.

After some in depth reading, it seems that actually around 10-20% should be allowed for in these extreme temperatures, so 6:00/km throughout would be ideal. Now I know… Next week’s long run will be down to around 30k, followed by an easy 18 in one sitting during my easy recovery week. Then back up to around 30-32 for the final time the week after that.

On the positive side, hell, I did a 32k run in hellishly hot and sweaty conditions. And the following evening (yesterday) I did a nice, easy 10k recovery run holding the 6:00/km pace and felt relatively fluid and easy considering (that’s a marathon in 36 hours, all told).  

Anyway, ready for the big weekend session now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.