Saturday 24 September 2011

Being a bit of a Deva

It's just been announced that the annual Olympic distance triathlon that takes place in Chester (more or less my home town) will be a UK qualifier for the ITU World Age Group Champs, which will take place in New Zealand towards the end of the year.

I have to confess that this is extremely tempting. Getting a World Champs slot would be a long shot but since I took up triathlon, I've wanted to do the Deva Tri (who doesn't want to do their home town race?) and between now and the New Year I'm planning on really concentrating on Oly distance racing, so it'd be good to see just how I measure up against other top age groupers back home by then.

The only issue is the date - the race takes place on 1 July and I'm already planning on going back to the UK for a family wedding in the middle of May. Of course, there's nothing to say I can't go back twice but I'm also conscious that I don't want to spend all my holidays in the UK, as I have this year. Part of the draw of living in the UAE is being closer to hundreds of other places I may not get to see again. So, decisions decisions...

In other tri-related news, it turns out that being perennially single isn't the colossal character flaw, fear of commitment or sign of terminal ugliness that most people tend to think...it's just a decent commitment to exercise. This article in The Telegraph reveals that marriage leads to more sickness and less exercise! ha, in your face smug couples.

Right, that'll do. I've an awesome, healthy, exercise-packed single life to go off and lead. Byeeeee.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.