Tuesday 6 September 2011

Wales is calling


I love a good old-fashioned home-spun saying (nervous as a two-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs, being a favourite), but the one that applies most right now, I think, is this one: the hay is in the barn! That's how I feel – I'm as ready as I can be for this race. The rest of the week is just about recovering well, and making sure I turn up to the start line in the best shape and spirits possible.

Later today, I'll pick my bike up – it's been for a last minute service to make sure the gears and brakes are working well – and then I'm going to start packing, as I'll be making my way down to Tenby tomorrow morning.

There's quite a lot to do once down there. As well as some light running and riding, there's registration, briefing, the expo, official swims of the course; I want to drive at least one loop of the bike course to know what's in store, then there's prepping the bike, transition bags and special needs bags.

As there's a lot to do, I have, of course, made a list and a timetable! Matt the OCD triathlete rears his ugly head once again. I know what I need to do and where I need to be when – which may sound over the top but, for me, just means less to worry about.

Bizarrely, now that I've given into the fact that it's going to be a slow and hilly race in far-from-ideal conditions, I'm really looking forward to it. It's going to be a blood and guts battle, and I've certainly got plenty of guts. I've run through my race plan (what nutrition I'll take on when etc) several times and feel ready for the fight. My legs are still a tad heavy, but with very light training this week I'm sure they'll feel good on the day.

I can't wait to get down there and immerse myself in the atmosphere now.

Five days and counting..!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.