Saturday 3 September 2011

How do you know when you're ready for Ironman?


There's one question I've been asked by almost everyone I've met for the past three weeks now: 'are you ready?' My standard response - '...as I'll ever be' may end up not being true (should IM Wales not put me off for life, the potential of entering an IM that doesn't require training through a Dubai summer, doesn't boast more altitude than a tough Tour de France stage and simply having the experience of already having done one, will no doubt make me more prepared), but I'm now as ready for this race as I can be, is what I mean to say.

The big problem is that nobody tells you when you're ready. I've done the training and feel relatively confident. But, back when I entered IM Wales, I had the romantic notion that a day would come when everything would click, and I'd just know...like a prize fighter in a Hollywood flick, there'd be that one turning point as I cyclle to the top of a hill that beat me at the beginning of the film or something equally awkwardly contrived. 'I'm ready,' I'd whisper portentiously straight to camera.

But it doesn't work like that. I don't really feel any fitter, stronger or more streamlined than I did six months ago, even though I know I must be. The taper period just muddies these waters even more.

Yesterday, I had a full day off. I took advantage of it to go to the cinema and head to the local outlet mall, where I was chuffed to pick up a pair of Nike Frees for just 30 quid – as I'm sure you'll have noticed, I'm a geek when it comes to tri gear and training types, and I take my running shoes very seriously!

Today, it was a 2 hour bike ride over hilly terrain, followed by a short 25 minute run straight off the bike. The ride felt pretty rubbish – my legs ached, my glutes are in agony and I generally felt fat and unfit...welcome to the taper! Part of me wishes I'd just carried on training super hard right up until this weekend and then rested for a week. But I know that, with thousands of metres of climbs to look forward to in IM Wales, a taper was completely the right call.

The run? Meh...it felt fine, I guess.

I've a similar session tomorrow, but I'm going to keep to the flat and take all intensity completely out of the ride, maybe even stopping for lunch at the halfway point. The next week it's very, very short stuff, tho I'll definitely be heading for a couple of massages before the big day to work out some of these aches and pains. Fingers crossed that works.

Part of me wonders how much of these aches, pains and tiredness in my legs are, if not psychological, then latent worry, stress and nervousness. We'll find out soon enough – in reality, the question 'are you ready?' can only be answered in the sea and on the roads of Pembrokeshire next weekend.

That's right, folks: 8 days and counting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.